Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mass Antibiotic Dispensing Drill

I just wanted you to know that Milt and I are an active part of our Chesapeake Medical Reserve Corps and on Thursday July 13th we were part of our second mock "dispensing drill". This year the story was that an airplane flew over Chesapeake with a plume of Anthrax behind it. The Public Health Department, the Medical Reserve Corps (MRC), the Citizens Emergency Response Team (CERT) Chesapeake Police, Fire and Rescue were all there....working together. We probably had even more groups that assisted that I did not recognize. It was very revealing, somewhat scary and a little fun.

We completed two shifts. I was shift one. I was assigned to a mass, quick dispensing table. Our goal was to move thousands, upon thousands of people QUICKLY through a maze of three lines. One line for Doxycycline, one line for allergies to Doxycycline, pregnant or nursing, or under 9 years old, and one line for medical evaluation. I was line two.

We had four Registered Nurses and one supervisor. Then the people came...whew...they came with all sorts of problems, mental issues, fainting, loss of a child, deaf, can't speak English. We even had a person steal a whole box of medication and ran for the door. It really tests all your faculties at one time. You have to be quick and learn you "alone" cannot control the situation. It is a great "team" excercise. Some of the other nurses, and myself, had difficultly not taking control of any given situation. You must go ONLY to your supervisor for everything. It is a chain of command exercise.

I really want to encourage you to be a part of this wonderful extension of nursing. Milt and I feel it is our duty as a citizen to use our knowledge and expertise to help our fellow man. Please join your local chapter. I have all the names and numbers. Don't wait to be called. Just email me at SusanSaundersRN@cox.net.

No comments: